Saturday, November 29, 2008

Definitions

"Boi Polloi", derivation from the terms "Boi" and "Hoi Polloi", as defined below:

Hoi polloi (Greek: οἱ πολλοί), an expression meaning "the many" (literally: "the citizens") in Greek, is used in English to denote "the masses" or "the people", usually in a derogatory sense. Synonyms for "hoi polloi" include "...commoners, great unwashed, minions, multitude, plebeians, proletariat, rabble, rank and file, riffraff, the common people, the herd, the many, the masses, the peons, the working class". (Wikipedia)

Boi (plural: bois)
is a term used within LGBT and butch and femme communities to refer to a person's sexual and gender identity. In lesbian communities, there is an increasing acceptance of gender expression and intersexuality, as well as allowing people to self-identify with labels such as boi.

....Boi may also refer to a female-born or female-bodied person—sometimes transsexual, transgendered, or intersexed, sometimes not—that generally does not identify as, or only partially identifies as feminine, female, a girl, or a woman. Some "bois" identify as one or more of these, but they almost always identify as lesbians, dykes, or queers. Many are also genderqueer or practice genderfuck. Bois may prefer a range of pronouns, including "he", "she", or gender-neutral pronouns such as "hir", "sie", "zie", and "ey". The term has found increasing usage in the larger LGBT culture. (Wikipedia)

This is who I am.

The purpose of this blog is to document moments in my life, in the past, the present and the future, as a transgender person who identifies as third gender. A few quick things about myself, to put this blog into context:

- I was born biologically female.
- I will be 35 in a few weeks. My first transgender memories stem from age 5.
- I have done the marriage thing, the kids thing, and the divorce thing.
- I'm currently in a relationship with a heterosexual male.
- I have no interest in surgical transition, except for a breast reduction.
- I do, however, present often as male, through dress and manner. To me, this is the most comfortable presentation.

I'm hoping that this blog (and oh how I hate that term) will help educate others about the myriad of people who lie outside the gender binary, as well as to aid me in coping with my life as a self-defined gender outlaw.

No comments:

Post a Comment

As always, be respectful of your fellow human beings.